Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Slurrrrrp...

There's nothing more tummy-warming than slurping down a bowl of hot ramen on a rainy day. I was at my happiest when ieatishootipost compiled its list of contenders for the best ramen in Singapore. What a delightful excuse to embark on ramen-tasting trips!

I started off with Nantsuttei over at the spanking new Parco at Marina Bay. The Nippon-centric new extension is not unlike the shopping malls at Ponto-cho, Kyoto, with its quaint yet edgy little boutiques. Damn, the wanderlust strikes again... :)

There was already a queue when hubby and I reached there at 5.00pm. It was fast moving though and we were seated within minutes. I almost imagined myself back in Japan, when the bubble was popped unceremoniously by howling kids in the restaurant. Now, what I wouldn't give to just slurp my ramen IN PEACE in those atypical ticketed and fuss-free ramen joints. Grrrr.. why, pray tell, is it that Japanese kids are so much more well-behaved? Tsk..

I ordered the basic Ramen that comes with just a piece of char-shu. No biggie. The noodle and soup are the centerpieces here and I could do with less meat in my diet.



THE bomb here is the blackish garlic oil over the tonkatsu broth. It was yums with lots of garlicky umami flavour. The Hakata-style noodle is slightly thicker and the oily soup coated the noodles well. Too bad it turned soggy pretty quick. I prefer the more chewy noodles of Marutama. I declined the handful of beansprouts as I do not want my soup to be diluted.

My verdict? Undecided, because I've yet to try Ippudo. Now, will the crazy queues at Mandarin Gallery please move to here instead? :) My all-time fave is still Marutama at this point.

I had this humongous bowl of black ramen in Ponto-cho, Kyoto (unsure of the address though) that touted it's signature black goodness as a must-try. It's nothing like what I've tasted before! My guess is that it uses pork bone broth with black sesame paste, hence the inky pallor. The soup is thick and rich with a nutty taste.



I WANT TO GO BACK TO JAPAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free counter and web stats